3/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
Grated rind (zest) of 1 lemon, or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
Raspberry jam for filling
Icing sugar or glazing sugar, for dusting
1. Beat the butter, sugar, and zest until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the yolk and vanilla and beat until combined.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, almond flour, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix until just combined. Don’t over-beat.
3. Divide the dough in half, and pat each half into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll one disc of dough out about 5mm thick. Using a 6cm round cookie cutter, cut out cookies. Transfer rounds to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Gather the scrap dough, roll, and repeat. Place the cut cookies in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
6. While the first half of cookies is chilling, cut rounds from the remaining dough. Once you’ve transferred these cookies to a baking sheet, use a small heart cookie cutter to make a centred cutout in each. Place cookies in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill.
7. Bake all of the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the edges are just beginning to turn brown. Let them cool for 5 minutes on the pan, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
8. Place the cookies with the holes in them on a cookie sheet and sift icing sugar over the top. Turn the remaining cookies flat side up and spoon 1/2 teaspoon of jam into the center, spreading it slightly. Top with the sugar-dusted cookies.