1 cup (160g) brown sugar
1/2 cup (175g) treacle
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
4 cups (600g) plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder Icing to decorate them
Thin ribbon to hang
1. Melt the butter, brown sugar, treacle, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in a saucepan over a medium heat. Set aside.
2. Stir in the eggs and vanilla essence. Stir in the flour and baking powder until smooth. Divide the dough into 3 portions. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm.
3. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two baking trays with nonstick baking paper. Roll out 1 portion of the dough to 4mm thick between 2 sheets of baking paper. Use Christmas cookie cutters to cut out biscuit shapes. Place on the trays.
4. Use the end of a piping nozzle to make a hole in the top of each biscuit. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until golden and firm. Repeat with the remaining dough portions. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. Decorate with icing and thread with ribbon to serve.