1kg chicken pieces or thighs – skinned
4 tbsp cooking oil
1 cup onion – finely sliced
¼ cup curry leaves
1 tsp ginger – grated
4 cloves garlic – pressed/grated/very finely chopped
1 Scotch Bonnet (chilli) – chopped
3 cardamom seeds
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp chicken curry powder/paste
1 375ml coconut cream/milk (thick)
1 375ml coconut cream/milk (thin)
1 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil, sauté the onions, garlic, ginger, curry leaves.
2. Add the chilli powder, while stirring, then add the curry powder/paste and ½ cup water and cook on low heat, stirring frequently.
3. When this curry paste starts bubbling, add the chicken pieces and toss until all chicken pieces are well coated.
4. Add salt, pepper cardamoms, thin coconut cream/milk and the remaining water and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally.
5. When the chicken is cooked, add the thick coconut cream/milk and simmer.
Accompany with the tuna and coconut dish below as an alternative to rice.