1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 large yellow onions
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic or 1/2 clove, minced or finely grated
1. Peel the onions and cut in half, slice the onions with a sharp knife.
2. Melt butter in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until onions soften and begin to brown slightly, stirring often. Turn down the heat to medium and continue to cook until onions caramelise, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic, onions, salt, and pepper to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until well combined. Be careful to leave chunks of onion in the dip and not puree everything completely smooth.
4. Transfer to a serving bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours before serving to let the flavours meld together.
5. Store the leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container.