4 mud crabs
6 tablespoons oil
8 cloves of garlic, chopped
4 banana chillies, chopped
4 tablespoon ginger, julienne
1 cup tomato sauce
½ cup sweet chilli sauce
½ cup water or chicken stock
6 tablespoons hoi sin sauce
1 cup chopped green spring onion
1 cup mixed Vietnamese mint, coriander or normal mint leaves
2 tablespoon coriander root, chopped 2 tablespoon fish sauce
1 – 2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoon sea salt
30 cherry tomatoes cut in half
1. Freeze the crabs until they are no longer alive. Remove the top head shell and discard. Remove the gills (or dead man’s fingers as they are also known).
2. Clean out any excess muck (rinse very lightly and quickly). Cut in half lengthways, then cut into 3 on each side using a cleaver. Crack the claws with the back of a knife or cleaver just so they open to let the sauce in.
3. Heat oil in a wok. Add garlic, chilli, ginger and coriander root and cook until fragrant. Add the crabs and toss for 1 minute.
4. Add tomato sauce, chilli sauce, water, hoisin sauce, fish sauce, sugar and salt. Stir to combine the ingredients, bring to the boil.
5. Cover and allow to simmer/steam for about 10 minutes.
6. Add in the green onions, cherry tomatoes and herbs and serve with steamed jasmine rice, crab crackers, crab pickers, finger bowls and bibs.